CAMBRIDGESHIRE GARDENS TRUST
The following is a summary of visits and events updated as of the 2nd April 2017. All information on times and prices will be detailed in the next newsletter for ticket booking. Please book as soon as possible as venues frequently require a month’s notice on numbers for group tours and refreshments.
Our theme for 2017 is Walled Gardens.
Tues 11 April. 10.45 – 1.30. Visit to Christ’s College, Cambridge.
Thurs 18 May, 11.00 – 12.30. Visit to Ryston Hall, nr Downham Market, PE38 0AA. Mixed garden of rhododendrons and azaleas, walled garden under restoration.
Thurs 18 May, 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm. Visit to Stow Bardolph Hall, PE34 3HU (near Ryston Hall, signed Church Farm from A10).
Wed 7 June, meet 10.30am. Christ’s College, Cambridge for Irises and Summer Blooms. No arrangements for coffee but members £2 and guests £3 towards donation to the garden.
Wed 14 June, meet 6.30 pm. An evening visit to Childerley Hall, Dry Drayton. CB23 8BA (signed from flyover Cambourne exit. £12 members, £14 guests to include tour and light refreshments. By kind invitation of CGT member Chloe Jenkins.
Wed 12 July, 10.45-1 pm. Visit to Kelmarsh Hall. NN6 9LY (Use 9LX for satnav). Walled garden tour 11.30-12.0, £9 members, £10 guests to include entrance and tour. Refreshments available. Afternoon to further explore garden
- Thurs 10 August, 11.00 – 1.00 pm. Visit to walled garden at Holkham Hall, Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk, NR23 1AB (but use NR23 1RH for satnav). Cost £7.50 members, £8.50 guests includes entrance and garden tour. Refreshments available. Hall open afternoon (Hall entry not included).
- Tues 22 August, 10.45-12.30 Visit to Clare College Fellows’ Garden with tour by Head Gardener, Steve Elstub. Entrance via Trinity Lane. Cost £8 members, £9 guests to include refreshments in Old Court (tea/coffee/biscuits/fruit), and tour.
- NEW Tuesday September 5th 10.30 Visit to Hemingford Manor. Our extra Visit by request and by kind permission of our Trust member, Mrs Diana Boston, is to The Manor or Green Knowe at Hemingford Grey, Norman Court (off High Street) PE28 9BN. There is NO parking on site, suggest parking by the Church and walking along the towpath to the pedestrian entrance, or along the High Street and turn left into Norman Court. The Manor Is not only known for its interesting gardens but also of literary fame and the historic Manor House and wonderful patchworks.£8 members, £10 guests including house tour. Coffee on arrival with introductory talk by Diana and garden only. This will not be a conducted tour but Head Gardener will be available to answer any questions. Please book at least a week in advance.
- Wed 13 September, meet 10.30. Visit to Fullers Mill Garden, West Stow, Bury St Edmunds IP28 6HD: north from A14 at J40/J42, or signed Anglo-Saxon Village from A1101. Cost £7 members, £8 guests to include tour of gardens and woodland bordering River Lark; unusual shrubs. Refreshments available: tea/coffee £1 a mug, homemade cake £2.50 a slice.
- Tues 10 October, meet 10.30am, Visit to Wimpole Hall Estate with group tour of walled garden by Head Gardener Philip Whaites at 11.15. Arrive 10:30 am for tea. Afternoon free for Estate walk and visit to Hall. National Trust members free with membership card, non-NT members £15.30 payment to Alan in advance to include gardens, estate and house.
Sat 11 November, meet 10:30 am. AGM Fen Drayton Village Hall, CB24 4SL. Coffee on arrival. AGM from 11:00am. Talk from 11:30am followed by lunch (£5). Pippa & Steve Temple will speak on The Emperor and his Garden – Where there’s a Will there’s a Way.
- Fri 8 December, 09.45 – 12.30 pm. Christmas Lecture at St John’s College, St John’s Street, Cambridge CB2 1TP. Refreshments in the Divinity School with lecture in the Lightfoot Room. Entrance opposite The Great Gate. Lecture by Professor Jim Endersby, Reader in the History of Science, School of History, Art History and Philosophy, University of Sussex. The Plant Hunters. Followed by seasonal refreshments. Members £13, Guests.£16.
Tickets available from Alan Brown, 239 High Street, Offord Cluny, St Neots PE19 5RT. Tel: 01480 811947. Email: email@example.com. Cheques payable to Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust. To avoid disappointment, please book at least 2 weeks before visit. Should you need to cancel a booking please advise Alan as early as possible.
If anyone has queries and would like to get in touch, please do so on firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you visited a garden you think members would enjoy? Suggestions for future visits in 2108 welcome.